From 1945 on the Western Powers activated military trains for the link between Berlin and the West Zones. The French, with the route Berlin-Strasburg, possessed the only direct connection to the homeland for which three times a week a military train was introduced. Up till 1982 the cars of the French Military Government, with resources from their occupation budget, purchased their own cars, which were constructed by the Berlin company "Waggon Union". The car from this series on display contained a bar which sold drinks, sandwiches and cigarettes during the overnight journey. In addition were located within the car the compartments of the military train conductors; those consisted of : the train Chief, normally an officer, two military police, and four recruits, all responsible for order on the train, as well as a radio specialist who maintained contact with Berlin and Helmstedt during the entire stretch inside East Germany.