This area came into existence as a railroad center. Near this site in the spring of 1855, the Chicago, St. Paul and Fond du Lac Railroad was extended down from Wisconsin to link up with a rail line from Chicago that had terminated at Cary Station the year before. That same year the Fox River Valley Railroad graded a line north from Elgin to terminate at Williams Bay on Lake Geneva.
By the time the village was platted by surveyor John Brink in 1868, it was known as Nunda. The Village of Nunda was incorporated January 24, 1874. Nunda included an area now bounded by Route 176, Crystal Lake Avenue, Main Street and Walkup Avenue. The land was originally owned by Daniel Ellsworth and Simon Gates.
The Village of Crystal Lake, located just south of Nunda, was incorporated January 10, 1874. On June 6, 1908, the name of Nunda was changed to North Crystal Lake by petition of its citizens.
After several attempts, the two villages finally voted to consolidate. On April 28, 1914, the Village of North Crystal Lake was annexed to the Village of Crystal Lake and on September 23, 1914, the City form of government was adopted. By that time, this Downtown area was a bustling business area.
Plaque Courtesy of the Ben Raue Family, who were a vital part of this community from 1893 to 1994