George Gabel opened an Indian trading post on this site in 1847. In 1856 he sold the property to John Dilg who had arrived in the Chicago area in 1850 and settled on Waukegan Road in 1854. Dilg and his wife, Maria Magdalena Gabel Dilg operated the business as a general store and meeting place for the community. They also offered lodging for travelers between Chicago and Milwaukee.
The Dilg family was associated with the general store for about 100 years, and referred to the building as "The Homestead".
After a century and a half the building continues in its role as a restaurant and community meeting place, also offering lodging to travelers.
Some of the old construction is still recognizable on the south side and front of the building facing Waukegan Road.
Continuing in the family tradition, in 1904 John & Maria Magdalena Dilg's son, Fred, with his wife, Seana Torieck Dilg, opened another general store, the Morton Grove Exchange, at Ferris and Lincoln.
This plaque was placed in commemoration of the golden wedding anniversary of Cornelius and Minnie Rakittke Dilg October 5, 1990.