This twenty-two inch bell was crafted out of cast iron in 1892 by C.S.Bell&Co. The bell was placed in the St. Rose Schoolhouse east of the church, where it spent its life in a cupola until its removal in 2014. for many years, this piece of finely shaped metal rang to tell children class was about to begin for the sake of their education.
The school house was built in 1892 as an addition to St. Rose's education system. The three quarter acre of land was purchased from Joseph Meiring. when it was constructed, the brick building was originally one room. It was later modified to have two rooms. The basic necessities for a classroom were present: including desk, chalkboards, and a stove for winter. Over all, the Schoolhouse had a seating capacity of about fifty people.
Teachers played a big role in the brick building's history. Teachers, such as J. Pitzen, who taught from 1896- 1900, earned a salary of about forty- eight dollars a month for nine and one half months a year. paying the teachers for educating the children was costly but vital to ensure that the children of the era received a quality education. To serve the community more, the teachers also played organ for mass and rang the church bells. In 1957, the Marion Local School District was formed, closing St. Rose.
After the parish bought the building, it has continued to be used as a local basketball court and parish hall. Due to its poor condition and its idleness the bell was removed for restoration and put on display. The bell was placed here to enhance the glamour of the church, teach local history, and to play its wonderful tone.
(picture of school, with cupola)