Belleville Copper Rolling Mill Bridge

Belleville Copper Rolling Mill Bridge (HM1S0A)

Location: Belleville, NJ 07109 Essex County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 47.37', W 74° 10.383'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 560 views
Inscription
J. Moore, T. Sandford, H. Nichols, Freeholders 1838
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1S0A
Additional Information
    Rolling Hills Copper Mill supplied copper sheeting for:
    "The Demologus" - First U. S. steam war vessel in 1814
    "The Savannah" - First steam propelled vessel to cross Atlantic in 1818
    "Old Ironsides" - Famous early locomotive built by Matthias W. Baldwin in 1832
In 1924, Harmon Hendricks donated 20 acres of land to the Essex County Park Commission. As of 2016, this arch bridge was threaten to be demolished. Fortunately due to protests by the good citizens of Belleville, the bridge is currently undergoing restoration.
Series This marker is part of the Belleville, NJ: Belleville Historical Society series
Tags
Historical Period19th Century, 18th Century
Historical PlaceRiver, Mill, Bridge
Marker TypeHistoric Structure
Marker ClassHistorical Marker
Marker StyleCarved Stone
Marker Number1838
Year Placed1838
Placed ByHendricks Bros. & Essex County Freeholders
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, May 1st, 2016 at 8:29pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
Directions InformationNorth of Franklin Ave on the right of Mill Street in Belleville, NJ 07109. At least 8 nearby markers are within one mile of this marker: Branch Brook Park (approx. 0.3 miles away), The Battle of Second River (approx. half a mile away), Karr/Milburn House (approx. 0.7 miles away), Forest Hill Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away), Morris Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away), Sydenham House (approx. 0.9 miles away), St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.9 miles away), and Victory (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Location Description1838 aqueduct-style brownstone arch bridge that spans across the Second River along Mill Street in Belleville, NJ, and is located between the Disabled American Veterans building and the new Franklin Manor residential complex just west of Franklin Ave. Formally the Soho Copper Company established in 1812, this property was owned by 5 generations of the Hendricks family who operated the Belleville Copper Rolling Mill from 1813-1938. The mill employed about 100 workers, many of whom were Irish immigrants, and supplied the US government with heavy copper sheets for boilers, and bolts for ship-building during the War of 1812.
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 569768 N 4515718
Decimal Degrees40.78950000, -74.17305000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 47.37', W 74° 10.383'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 47' 22.2000" N, 74° 10' 22.9800" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)973, 862
Can be seen from road?Yes
Is marker in the median?No
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 612 Mill St, Belleville NJ 07109, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map

Comments 0 comments