Side A Worthington was founded in 1803 by the Scioto
Company, settlers from Connecticut, and named
after Thomas Worthington, a major proponent
of Ohio statehood. The original plat included a
3 ½ acre village green bounded on the east by
1 ½ acre school and church lots. The green was
surrounded by 160 residential and commercial
lots, each measuring ¾ of an acre. By 1812,
Worthington was a finalist for designation as
the capital of Ohio.
The Worthington Historic District has evolved over
more than 200 years from the center of a small
village to the hub of a suburban community. The
district includes numerous architectural styles:
Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne,
American Four Square, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod,
and vernacular styles. The Worthington Historic
District, framed by North, South, Morning, and
Evening Streets, encompasses the original village.
The district was added to the National Register of
Historic Places in 2010.