Plans for this colonial revival-style structure were drawn by Philadelphia architect Minerva Parker Nichols, one of the first female architects in the United States. Construction of the building, which features eclectic components as well as the Palladian windows and gambrel roof associated with Nichols' work, began in 1892. After its completion in 1893, the building was formally occupied by the New Century Club of Wilmington until 1975 when declining membership prompted its sale. In 1982 Marie and John Swajeski purchased the building to serve as the home for the Delaware Children's Theatre, formerly known as the Children's Repertoire Theatre. Founded by the Swajeskis in 1973, the theatre has served as an important cultural resource for Delaware children and their families, and remains committed to the historic building's preservation for the enjoyment of current and future generations. To honor Mrs. Swajeski's extensive work with the community, September 18th was declared "Marie Swajeski Day" and entered into the Congressional Record by Delaware Senator Thomas Carper in 2004. Vice-President of the United States Joseph Biden, and early supporter of the theatre and former Delaware Senator, personally congratulated Mrs. Swajeski.