Side 1(Continued on other side)
Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in 1901 on its way to Graceville, Florida, and in 1902, the Henderson-Waits Lumber Company began operations with a huge lumber mill. At that time, the town had several other business establishments including Woodham and Langston, S.D. Wiggins and Son, Jenkins Company, W.D. Day and a large commissary run by the lumber company. It was in this year, 1902, that the town was incorporated.
(Continued from other side)
The original Sanford School building was a two-story wood frame structure that stood a short distance from this site. This old building burned in 1929. The next year a new five-room building was constructed on this location. Lon Cobb and Bob Wiggins secured the notes for the materials and local people donated the labor. John J. Wilson Sr. was principal at the time. In 1932, an auditorium was added. Three more classrooms were added in 1935. In 1947, a cafeteria was added. This addition was made possible through the efforts of the Sanford P.T.A. The school building was torn down in 1984 at which time construction began on the Sanford Town Hall/Sanford Volunteer Fire Department building.