In Honor of the Georgia Battalion
Georgia was the only state in the Union to supply arms from its state arsenal when her sons came to Texas to join the fight for freedom. The Georgia Battalion of 5 companies of volunteers came as a group to Texas and joined the command of Col. James Fannin, Jr.
Fannin's army of 500 men was surrounded in open country by a superior force of Mexican cavalry. Rather than attempt to fight their way out, abandoning the wounded, Fannin surrendered unconditionally to General José Urrea but understood that he and his men would be treated as prisoners of war and finally released. They gave up their arms and returned as prisoners to Goliad.
Santa Anna ordered them executed. On Palm Sunday, believing they were being repatriated, the prisoners were marched from the mission at Goliad to the open plain and were shot. Some had been hidden by concerned Mexican families and a few who might be useful to Mexico were spared. Among these was Dr. John Shackelford, for whom this county was named.
The state of Georgia sent a claim in 1855 to the state of Texas for $3000 to pay for the guns sent from the Georgia armory; the Texas Legislature agreed to pay the claim. Georgia then in 1857 waived the right to payment in favor of the building of a monument to the men of the Georgia Battalion. Texas again agreed, but for one reason or another it was never done.
Our town was named by one of its founders for his hometown of Albany, Georgia and our county for Dr. Shackelford who was spared at Goliad, and since we in Albany, Texas are among the benefactors of sacrifices made in behalf of Texas, we offer this memorial as partial payment of the debt we owe the state of Georgia. We shall remain with a great debt unpaid to Georgia for sons sent which we cannot send back. They are now part of the soil and soul of Texas.