Buccleuch Mansion was built circa 1735-1739 by Anthony White for his bride Elizabeth, daughter of New Jersey Royal Governor Lewis Morris. Their son, Anthony Walton White, who was born and raised here, was an aide-de-camp to George Washington and an army officer. The Mansion was occupied by British officers and the Enniskillen Guards of Ireland (now Northern Ireland) during the Revolutionary War and still shows saber and musket marks on its floors and banisters. Many dignitaries visited the Manson including General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. Bought in 1821 by Colonel Joseph Warren Scott, it was home to his extended family for the next 90 years. He renamed the estate, Buccleuch in honor of his Scottish lineage. The Mansion and surrounding park lands were given by the last owner, Anthony Dey, in 1911, to the City of New Brunswick to honor his grandfather, Colonel Scott. The Jersey Blue Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution has been its caretaker since 1914. It is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places where it is referenced as the White House Farm.
This Historic Marker is a gift to the people of New Brunswick from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2010.