Historic Lake Avenue —— · · · —— In 1884 a North Collins man, Heman Blasdell, came to this new developing Lake Avenue community and constructed a four story hotel at a site on the north side of what was at that time a crude dirt road near the Erie RR tracks. Building the "Blasdell Hotel" would then set in motion a chain of events that would lead to the emergence of the Village's first commercial district. By 1890 the Lake Avenue strip, bounded by LaBelle Avenue on the east and the Erie RR tracks on the west, was complete, and by the time the village was incorporated in 1898 the main commercial buildings included, on the south side of the street, the "Stambach Block" housing a grocery and several apartments, the Stutts hardware store and a separate stove shop, the W.F. Salisbury building housing a real estate office and the village post office and the Grange hall containing a grocery and an undertaking business. The hotel, a barber shop, two private residences and a house that later would be the site of the village post office were located on the north side.