Limestone County High School (grades 9-12)was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and proud to have the first county high school, Elkmont citizens were saddened when a tornado damaged the top story in 1937.
The remodeled Limestone County High School, 1937.
The Elkmont Methodist Church opened its doors in 1884. The original structure can be seen in the view from School House Hill shown above. At that time the church faced east. This is a sketch of the new church, built in 1936, when the entrance was changed to face Children Street.
This picture is a view of Elkmont taken from School House Hill by Cora Evans, circa 1910. The scenes have changed, but the pride is the same in family, school, and church.
The Delmore Brothers (Rabon one the left and Alton on the right) are credited by The Country Music Hall of Fame as "...perhaps the most musically sophisticated, most creative and most technically proficient of all the duo acts."
The Hyde House, built circa 1830, was located one mile north of downtown Elkmont. It was the home of Dr. Merritt Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Marie Church Hyde. The house was used as a hospital during the Civil War but is mostly remembered for the legends of the faith healing and extrasensory wisdom performed by Dr. Hude during the 1870's through 1920.
Elkmont Elementary, built on Smithfield Road in 1937 by the citizens of Elkmont, accommodated 115 pupils. The school remained active until the late 1960s.
The site of the Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle is located one mile south of downtown Elkmont on "The Rails to Trails" path. The structure pictured replaced the original wooden trestle destroyed during the Civil War.
First Baptist Church, built in the early 1900s, was located on the old route of Highway 127. This structure still stands, but the church has a new building on McWilliams Street.
Powers Hospital, located on Upper Fort Hampton Road, still stands as a reminder of the more flourishing days of downtown. Elkmont was once served by doctors Joe Maples, Will Maples, C.V. May hall, A.D. Powers and Joe Whitfield.
Elk Theater opened on a Saturday in the fall of 1948 and burned in February 1950.