Takes name from creek where noted buffalo hunter and scout Billy Dixon established first dugout home on High Plains, 1874.(Ranch not open to public.)
Ranch founded, 1882, by Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., English firm backed by Cunard Steamship Co.
Fenced, 1884, with barbed wire hauled here from railroad at Dodge City; posts were of Palo Duro Canyon cedars.
Purchased in 1903 by S. Burk Burnett (1849-1922), trail driver, rancher; an organizer and for 45 years on executive board, Texas Cattle Raisers Association. Host during 1905 wolf hunt to U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt.