The Florida United Methodist Children's Home was established here in 1908 as the Florida Methodist Orphanage. Children come from situations of abuse, neglect, broken and dysfunctional families, abandonment and other troubling circumstances. This institution began with the acquisition of one building, eight town lots and a tract of 40 acres of land purchased for $1,250. Articles of Incorporation were filed with the State of Florida on June 3, 1908. In 1939 the name was changed to The Florida Methodist Children's Home, and renamed The Florida United Methodist Children's Home in 1971. The site features three buildings—Brinkley Hall, built in 1923, Hardin Hall, 1926-27 and Randall Hall, built in 1933. Hardin Hall, the campus centerpiece, was renovated in 1980 and 1998. For a century the Florida United Methodist Children's Home has operated to care for children in need.