Montverde Academy was founded by Hermon Palestine Carpenter in 1912 as the Montverde Industrial School for students of limited means. A native of Boyle County, Kentucky, Carpenter (1877-1958) came to Florida in 1912 and decided to found a school at Montverde. Carpenter, like many educational reformers of the time, believed that there was a need for a "practical" type of education and established his school with the purpose of training boys and girls both in the classroom and in a trade. The school held its first day of classes on September 23, 1912, in a two-room building. Students were expected to attend classes and work on campus in various capacities, such as tending the school farm, or working in the school's broom factory or cannery to help pay their tuition. Over time, Montverde Academy slowly phased out the work requirement as it grew in recognition as a boarding and day school. In 1921, the school became known as the Montverde School, and in 1962 was renamed the Montverde Academy. It is now a prominent college preparatory boarding and day school.