H. H. Dickson Azalea Park
Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their animals south. State Senator Walter Rose (1888-1958) purchased 40 acres of land here in 1916 and platted most of it for development. He set aside five acres adjacent to the creek for a park, called Senator Rose park, which he deeded to the City of Orlando in 1924. In 1933, the Civitan Club presented the City Council with a proposal to beautify the overgrown park and asked the city to re-name it in honor of Colonel Henry Hill Dickson (1849-1935). An Orlando business pioneer and civic leader, Dickson devoted his energies to the beautification of Orlando, and was instrumental in planting azaleas throughout the city. In 1935, ground was broken for restoration of the overgrown property. Local landscape architect Mulford Foster designed the scheme for the park's plants, water features, bridges and paths, and Works Progress Adminsitration labor built the park's walls and steps. Dickson Azalea Park was designated an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1991.
Washington Street Bridge
By 1926, it was clear that the deteriorating wooden bridge over Fern Creek could no longer accommodate vehicular traffic that was increasing daily as Orlando's development during the Florida land Boom moved farther east. The Orlando City Council decided to replace the wooden structure with a modern, more durable bridge. In July 1926, bids were submitted by several companies. A $10,400 proposal submitted by the Concrete Steel Bridge Company of Miami Beach was selected. Headquartered in New York City, the firm was a recognized leader in construction technology. Orlando City Engineer Morton Hagartney designed the span. The Washington Street Bridge is an especially fine example of a reinforced concrete arch deck bridge. Three 20-foot-long arches form the substructure that support the bridge's deck, and cantilevered floor beams widen to provide walkways on both sides of the bridge. Urn-shaped balusters set in panels separated by low pilasters and historically-inspired light fixtures on tapered posts give the bridge a classical appearance. The Washington Street Bridge is the only bridge of its kind in the City of Orlando, and was designated a Historic Landmark by the city in 1991.