Circa 1912Because this building occupies a corner position on a triangular shaped lot, it has been historically referred to as the "flatiron" building, deriving its nickname from the triangular shaped electric clothing press irons popularized in the 1920's. Constructed around 1912, the building is one of the oldest Masonary Venacular commercial structures in Auburndale's historic business district. It is believed to be the only commercial structure to survive all three fires that destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The building was originally constructed as the First State Bank of Auburndale, which opened for business in 1912 but failed in the 1930's under duress of the Great Depression. Auburndale's most well known early local photographer, Alice Kaszer, once operated a photo shop in the building. Other commercial occupants have included a furniture store, post office, restaurant and professional office.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency, Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission, Centennial Celebration Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, March 21st, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 422486 N 3104668|
|Decimal Degrees||28.06513333, -81.78881667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 28° 3.908', W 81° 47.329'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||28° 3' 54.48" N, 81° 47' 19.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 102 Main St, Auburndale FL 33823, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|