Circa 1916Nearly all of the early commercial buildings in Auburndale were constructed from wood. As a result, three fires destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The fire of 1913 was magnified by a great explosion that occurred when flames engulfed a large cache of dynamite. In response to the disaster, Mayor E. S. Anderson appointed a committee to draft a fire zone ordinance requiring fire resistant structures within the downtown commercial district. Because of this requirement, John Patterson, an active member of Auburndale's early business community, constructed the Patterson Retail Building in 1916 using masonry building techniques. The Masonary Vernacular building is an example of the style that became more common for commercial buildings of the 1920's. The Patterson Retail Building has been home to at least two drug stores and a professional office.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||City of Auburndale, Auburndale Community Redevelopment Agency, Auburndale Historic Preservation Commission, Centennial Celebration Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, March 21st, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 422523 N 3104705|
|Decimal Degrees||28.06546667, -81.78845000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 28° 3.928', W 81° 47.307'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||28° 3' 55.68" N, 81° 47' 18.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 208 E Park St, Auburndale FL 33823, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|