The site of the former town of Frankford consists of the three-acre wagon yard, five-acre Frankford Church area and three-acre cemetery. The town of Frankford grew around Indian Springs after W.C. McKamy and his family moved to Texas in 1852. They sold firewood and water to settlers moving along Preston Road. Some of these Settlers stayed at Frankford, creating the growing town near Indian Springs. The Frankford Post OFfice stood at the intersection of the Dallas North Tollway and Hilton Head Drive. At its height Frankford had a steam grist mill, corn mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, two general stores and three churches, with 83 residents.Marker is property of The State of Texas
In 1858, the White Rock Masonic Lodge was organized at Walnut Grove, and in 1872 moved to a buildng in Collin County, located on what is now the northwest side of Frankford Cemetery. The Hall became the fraternal, religious and educational center for miles around. A church building was also erected on the cemetery grounds in 1880, only to be destroyed by a tornado. Some of the wood in the current Frankford Church came from the original church.
The end of Frankford came with the growth of the railroad. The line bypassed Frankford and instead went through Addison, eventually prompting the move of the Lodge Hall to Addison in 1907. The town of Frankford no longer existed, though the larger landowning families like the Cooks and the McKamys remained. In 1948, the Frankford Cemetery Association was incorporated to help maintain the cemetery.