(side 1)(Continued on other side)
In the 1870's, four wharfs were built on the south shores of Lake Jessup. Steamships came into Lake Jesup bringing goods and supplies to settlers throughout central Florida. Later, railroad stops connected this area with other local communities.
About 1900, this area located at the southwest corner of Lake Jesup became known as Wagner. The origin of the name "Wagner" is uncertain and both Wagner and Clifton appear on maps. In the early 1900's, a narrow, nine-foot brick road was built. It began south of Sanford, following an old wagon trail and ended in Oviedo. It had a sharp, nearly 90 degree curve, called Wagner's curve, located near the present Central Winds Park. The curve has since been straightened.
This area was dominated by farms and citrus groves. One of the biggest land owners was Chase and Company of Sanford. Wagner had its own Post Office from December 11, 1911-August 31, 1925.
(Continued from other side)
Adjacent to the farmland along the south shore of Lake Jesup were dense and remote swamps. During prohibition (1928-1933) these swamps provided ideal hide-outs for moonshiner's stills. The general store near the Wagner curve, was first owned by the Bryant family. They were rumored to be very friendly with the moonshiners. Later it was owned by the Peters family.
With the paving of roads in the 1920's, people moved from the farms into nearby towns and villages. State roads 419 and 434 ran through Wagner, and by the 1940's, there were signs saying you were entering Wagner. By 1960, Wagner appeared on maps only and drivers were warned to beware of the sharp curve.
By the latter part of the 20th century, farming was no longer profitable and the area had become urbanized, and is now a part of Winter Springs.