The National Zoo of El Salvador

The National Zoo of El Salvador (HM1R0Y)

Location: San Salvador, San Salvador San Salvador
Country: El Salvador

N 13° 41.112', W 89° 11.733'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 169 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

El Parque Zoológico Nacional de El Salvador

Antes de que se conociera como tal, al interior del Museo Nacional, hoy denominado "David J. Guzmán", había funcionado un área de exhibición zoológica, según consta el Diario Oficial Numero 239, Tomo 15 Pag. 985, de fecha 16 de octubre de 1883. Es decir, estuvo ligado al Museo Nacional desde 1883 hasta el 23 de mayo de 1953. Desde el 26 de mayo de 1953, se denomina Parque Zoologico Nacional, pero no es si no hasta el 23 de diciembre de ese mismo año, que se desliga totalmente de Museo. Esto, durante la Administración del Presidente de la Republica, Coronel Oscar Osorio, dentro del Ministerio de Cultura. En esa fecha se traslada a los terrenos actuales de la antigua Finca "Modelo", en un área de 10 manzanas. Su primer Director fue el Dr. Eduardo Fisher. Se crea con 208 animales de diferentes especies. Dos años más tarde, el 29 de junio de 1955, el Parque adquiere un lote de 17 ejemplares exóticos, comprados en Hamburgo Alemania, por la cantidad de cincuenta mil colones, lote entre los cuales se encontraban antílopes, camellos, cebras, tigres de bengala, carneros, mandriles y una elefanta asiática de cinco años de edad (Manyula). Así se mantuvo el Zoológico atendiendo y proporcionando el cuido y mantenimiento de su infraestructura y especies. Durante la administración del Presidente de la Republica Dr. Armando Calderón Sol, y a través de la Secretaria Nacional de la Familia, dirigida por su esposa Licenciada Elizabet de Calderón Sol, se hacen trabajos de reacondicionamiento del Parque en 1997. El Parque Zoológico Nacional, desde su creación ha pertenecido dentro de la estructura gubernamental, tanto al área educativo como cultura, tal como se ha visto anteriormente. Al crearse, en septiembre de 1991, el Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y el Arte, Concultura, su administración está bajo su responsabilidad, primero al interior de la Dirección Nacional de Patrimonio Cultural y desde el 17 de agosto de 1999, al crearse la Dirección Nacional de Espacios de Desarrollo Cultural, siempre en Concultura, está los cuales lo determinan como un verdadero espacio de desarrollo cultural, con dinámica propia. El 1 de septiembre de 2007 teniendo la estructura del parque 54 años, la administración del Presidente de la República Elías Antonio Saca González , en Consejo de Ministros anuncia el Proyecto de "Remodelación del Parque Zoológico Nacional 2008" el cual con una inversión de $700,000.00 del Presupuesto General de la Nación, se ejecuta por primera vez una Remodelación más integral de su infraestructura que incluyó la separación y construcción de áreas específicas tales como: Plaza de Juegos, restaurantes, clínica veterinaria, cuarto frio, comedor y preparación de alimentos, recintos de leones, tigres de bengala, elefante indio, fachada principal, ampliación de parqueo, readecuación de calles y senderos, y señalización en general. Dicho proyecto fue dedicado a Manyula la elefanta asiática única sobreviviente del primer lote de animales exóticos desde 1955San Salvador, octubre de 2008English translation: Before it was known as the National Zoo, there was a zoological exhibit within the National Museum, now named after David J. Guzman, as recorded in the Official Journal No. 239, Volume 15, page 985, from October 16, 1883. The zoo was linked to the National Museum from 1883 until May 23, 1953. From May 26, 1953 it was named the National Zoological Park, but it was not until December 23rd of the same year when it became completely separate from the Museum. This was during the Administration of President Colonel Oscar Osorio and it was placed within the Ministry of Culture. On that date it was moved to its current location here at the site of the old Modelo farm in an area of about 10 blocks. Its first director was Dr. Edward Fisher. It was created with 208 animals of different species. Two years later, on June 29, 1955, the park took on a batch of 17 exotic specimens, bought in Hamburg Germany for the amount of fifty thousand colones. This group included antelopes, camels, zebras, Bengal tigers, sheep, baboons and a five-year old Asian elephant, named Manyula. During this time the Zoo attended to the public and provided for the care and maintenance of the infrastructure and the animals. During the administration of President Dr. Armando Calderon Sol, and through the National Secretariat for the Family, headed by his wife Elizabet Calderon Sol, the Park was remodeled in 1997. The National Zoological Park, both the educational and cultural areas, since its inception has belonged within the government. When created in September 1991, the National Council for Culture and Art, Concultura, took the administration of the Zoo under its responsibility, first within the National Directorate of Cultural Heritage. From August 17, 1999 the management of the Zoo has been under the National Department of Cultural Development Spaces, also within Concultura, which is determined as a true space for cultural development. On September 1, 2007 with the infrastructure of the park 54 years old, the administration of President Elias Antonio Saca Gonzalez and the Council of Ministers announced the Project "Remodeling the National Zoological Park 2008" which with an investment of $700,000 from the national budget, was a major remodeling of its infrastructure which included the separation and construction of specific areas for use as: a playground, restaurants, a veterinary clinic, a cold room, dining room and food preparation areas, a lion area, bengal tiger area, space for an Indian elephant, the main facade, a parking expansion, realignment of streets and trails, and signage in general. The project was dedicated to Manyula: the only Asian elephant and survivor of the first group of exotic animals acquired in 1955. San Salvador, October 2008
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1R0Y
Tags
Year Placed2008
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, March 12th, 2016 at 9:01pm PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16P E 262529 N 1513988
Decimal Degrees13.68520000, -89.19555000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 13° 41.112', W 89° 11.733'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds13° 41' 6.72" N, 89° 11' 43.98" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Pje El Buen Pastor, San Salvador San Salvador , SV
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?