1942 - 1945During World War II, the United States Army interned 6,000 German prisoners of war here on a 400 acre site, employing 1,000 American military and civilian personnel. Major Karl H. Shriver commanded Corps of Engineers forces which began construction in August, 1942. Activated Dec. 12, 1942. First prisoners, from Gen. Erwin Rommel's Africa Korps, arrived by Frisco Railroad June 2, 1943. Camp first commanded by Col. F. A. Prince, later by Col. R. S. Grier. 400 frame buildings: barracks, hospital, bakeries, chapels, greenhouse, theaters; water and sewer systems, fire department, amphitheater, sports fields, gardens. Barbed wire compound with guard towers. 2 prisoners killed attempting to escape. Deactivated Sept. 30, 1945.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Aliceville Rotary Club and the Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, February 20th, 2016 at 1:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 390520 N 3664892|
|Decimal Degrees||33.11720000, -88.17348333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 7.032', W 88° 10.409'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 7' 1.92" N, 88° 10' 24.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Memorial Dr, Aliceville AL 35442, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|