The Leedsville Schoolhouse, also known as Linwood School #1, was built in 1873. The building is owned by the City
of Linwood and is occupied by the Linwood Historical Society. The building houses a local history museum and
archives. The surviving original building fabric of the
Leedsville Schoolhouse sustains its architectural and historical
integrity. On the exterior, the schoolhouse retains
its original size, massing and symmetry, as well as its large
windows and the centrally-located entrance. The original
cupola and one end window, both seen in the historic photograph
at far left, were removed and the entrance doors
replaced. On the interior, the school retains its original single
classroom (photo above) with vestibule configuration,
as well as original finishes, including the wainscoting,
plaster, blackboard, and trim (photo at left). The flooring and beaded-board ceiling were added when the interior
was divided into two rooms, although that divider has since been removed.
The ungraded school served 65-70 students, aged 5-18, annually in a single classroom space from 1873-
1894. In 1895, the space was divided into two classrooms and the students were separated into primary and upper
grade classes. By 1908, the number of students had outgrown the building and a new school was constructed on
In 1910 the Board of Education sold the Leedsville Schoolhouse to the Borough of Linwood. The building served as Town Hall and City Hall until 1965 when it was converted to a municipal library. In 1987 the building became the home of the Linwood Historical Society Museum with artifacts and displays on local history.
Listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in 1984.
Funded in part by the Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund.