This map shows the location of the Union Pacific coal mines and coal camps built in the years between 1906 and 1910. The town of South Superior is purposefully left off this map. It was not owned by Union Pacific Coal Company and in this time period, "the company" as it was called, had little use for the future town. South Superior is located between "Superior" and "Japanese village" shown on this map. It was bordered on the west by Union Pacific's "B" Mine.
A number of dwelling houses and miscellaneous mine buildings were placed under construction as soon as the site for mining development was chosen, and during the life of "A" Mine, a store and schoolhouse were erected. In the main part of the town, store and office buildings were constructed.
The town was known as Reliance until, on July 14, 1906, the name was changed to Superior, after the Superior Coal Company which originally opened the mines.
While the company-owned homes were built adjacent to the mines, the town of South Superior was developed to house independently-minded individuals. At first a tent town, called various names such as "White City" and "Dog Town", it grew, and a relatively large commercial center developed.