Known as Bluffton from about 1835-1893. Bluffton was incorporated in 1865. Name changed to Lanett, town of Lanett incorporated 1893. Its charter was approved in 1895. Early records mention academies, two near this site. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1837 at the home of Thomas S. Reese. Bluffton tanyard produced leather for the Confederacy. Lanett Cotton Mills incorporated 1892, Lanett Bleachery & Dye Works incorporated 1895, Subsidiaries, later Divisions of West Point Manufacturing Company. Lanett's early mayors were George Newton Croft, Sr., E. B. Reid, and James D. Norman.
Forrest "Fob" James, who was elected Governor of the State of Alabama on November 7, 1978, was born in Lanett and resided here through young manhood, receiving his early education in this city's public school system.
In October 1798 Benjamin Hawkins journeyed through present Chambers County near the Chattahoochee. His path led across the present city of Lanett. Hawkins' journal is a record of the first known journey through this area.