1883-1962This lighthouse, installed in 1883, originally stood 125 yards offshore at the entrance of the Patuxent River to the Chesapeake Bay. The foundation on which the cottage living quarters rest consist of seven wrought iron screw piles, hand bored into the river bottom. The cupola houses a fixed navigational lantern. During fog, a 1,400 pound bell was rung. Decomissioned in 1962, the lighthouse was moved to the Calvert Marine Museum in 1975.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Board of County Commissioners, Calvert County Historical Society, Maryland Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 1:45pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 371966 N 4243517|
|Decimal Degrees||38.33065000, -76.46485000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 19.839', W 76° 27.891'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 19' 50.34" N, 76° 27' 53.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 14200 Solomons Island Rd, Solomons MD 20688, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|