Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836, named after James Noble first US Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta, 1837, Port Mitchell 1844. Center later named Albion selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of railroad in 1874 brought prosperity and major construction on courthouse square circa 1880-1890.
First courthouse (1847) destroyed by fire replaced by two-story brick structure, 1860. This courthouse, third on the site, built 1887-1889, in Richardsonian Romanesque Style of brick and limestone. Designed by E. O. Fallis Co., Toledo, Ohio. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1981.