The original Gaithersburg High School was formerly located where Gaithersburg Elementary School now stands at 35 North Summit Avenue. Built in 1904, the school initially provided two general levels of education under the same roof: an elementary program for grades 1 to 7, and a three-year high school program. In 1907, the first graduating class consisted of only three students. Ten years later, the Montgomery County Board of Education approved the first four-year high-school program. To accomodate the growing student population, an addition was built in 1911. By 1913, the school had 210 students, 49 of whom were in high school. The ever-growing student body formed athletic, book and drama clubs; organized dances and socials; and created a school paper. Named for the school colors, the Blue and Gold student newspaper was first published in 1928 and remains in circulation today. By the late 1940's, the student body had expanded beyond the capacity of the building and the construction of the present-day Gaithersburg High School commenced at 314 South Frederick Avenue.
(Photo caption): The Gaithersburg School, early 1900's