Green Elm School was a one-room school house built in the 1870's in southeast Kansas. It was located in the southwest corner of Crawford County, seven miles north and one mile west of McCune, Kansas. The school held classes 1872-1955 and employed sixty-six different teachers. The school's name was based upon an elm tree located near the school.
The school was also used as a church until October 1910. The organization of the United Chapel Church first began meeting and worship services in the Green Elm school house in 1883, which was located one mile north of the present church.
Many of the teachers were only a year or two older than the students and their first teaching contracts lasted only three months. They were boarded at area homes during their contracts. One teacher had the responsibility of teaching all of the students, ranging from first grade to eighth grade.
The school was heated by a large coal stove, to which the teacher and larger boys hauled coal from the coal shed south of the school. The teacher also carried a bucket of water from a nearby well inside the school house, from which everyone drank with a cup or dipper.
Nearly all of the students walked to school on dirt roads, as none were paved or covered with crushed rock. The students enjoyed two recesses and a noon play time. A big slide and swings were also located next to the school, as were separate outhouses for boys and girls.
The school was moved to the George E. Nettles Elementary School playground in Pittsburg, in 1976. It was moved to the museum property in March 1981, where it has been enjoyed immensely by visitors for several decades.