The Washington Blacksox
In 1961, William "Doffey" Jones, owner and manager of the Washington Blacksox team built a sandlot baseball stadium on this site. They played on this field until ca. 1971. The Blacksox team was established in 1928 and played until 1992, winning numerous team championships. Baseball Hall of Famer Walter "Buck" Leonard, of the Homestead Grays, visited this field and gave encouragement to the team.
The Mitchellville Tigers:
On this site in 1946, John Abraham Henry's cornfield became the community sandlot baseball field for the Wee Wee Tigers. By 1948, coached by Frederick Powell, the team changed its name to the Mitchellville Tigers and played on this field until ca. 1961.
Dedicated September 21, 1996