1818 to 1832
This boulder marks a boundary line between United States territory and Indian lands which existed for fourteen years.
At St. Mary's Ohio on October 2, 1818, a treaty was made and concluded between Jonathan Jennings, Lewis Cass, and Benjamin Parke, Commissioners of the United States, and 35 of the Sachem's Chiefs and Warriors of the Potawatomie Tribe of Indians ceding the following territory,-
"Beginning at the mouth of the Tippecanoe River, and running up the same to a point twenty five miles in a direct line from the Wabash River, thence on a line (this) as nearly parallel to the general course of the Wabash River as practicable, to a point on the Vermilion River, twenty five miles from the Wabash River; thence down the vermilion River to its mouth and thence up the Wabash River to the place of beginning."
For which the United States agreed to pay to the Potawatomies a perpetual annuity of $2,500.00 in silver.(Continued on other tablet,)(Tablet 2)(Please read other tablet first,)
This boundary line which had existed for fourteen years, was obliterated by the signing of the following treaty,-
At Chippewaynung, (where the Tippecanoe River crosses the Michigan Road, 2 miles north of Rochester, Ind.,) on October 26, 1832, a treaty was made and concluded by Jonathan Jennings, John W. Davis, and Marks Crume, Commissioners of the United States, and 48 Chiefs, Headman, and Warriors of the Potawatomie Indians, whereby all lands lying between this line and the Ind.-Ill. state line, Lake Michigan, and the Ind.-Mich. state line, were ceded to the United States.
For which the United States agreed to pay $20,000.00 annually for 20 years, goods to the value of $100,000.00 in 1832, and of $30,000.00 value in 1833, pay Indian debts of $62,412.00, help them in emigrating, and build them a sawmill.
Line located by Don Heaton, County Surveyor.
Boulder placed by A.G. Mitton, Goodland, Ind.,
Unveiled September 14, 1930.