During winter 1988/89, the area known as Lot 70 in James Stoddert's 1718 survey will be the site of a historical archeological excavation.
In 1718, this lot was owned by Charles Carroll, grandfather of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who in 1734 leased the land to Phillip Syng, the renowned colonial metalsmith. Syng practised his trade here until 1759. During the 1760's, the lot was sold to Allen Quynn who was a member of the House of Delegates and Mayor of Annapolis. By 1770, the lot had been subdivided and the second house was built adjacent to the Syng-Quynn establishment. In 1778, this second house was sold to Dr. Reverdy Ghislein. Upon the doctor's death in 1784, his widow began the operation of a boarding house on this site. The Ghislein family was the host to many travellers to Annapolis, including Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe, delegates from Virginia to the Continental Congress that convened in Annapolis from December 1783 through August 1784.
For further information on the archeological excavation, please contact Historic Annapolis, Inc., King and Cornwall, or the City of Annapolis. This archeological dig is funded by grants and contributions from Historic Annapolis, Inc., King and Cornwall, Inc., and the City of Annapolis