"The houses generally are in ruin ?"Brentsville was the Prince William County seat during the Civil War. In response to John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859, the Prince William Cavalry (Co. A, Virginia Cavalry) was formed here on the courthouse lawn in January 1860. The ladies of Brentsville made a flag and presented it to the company. Other Confederate units from Prince William County, such as the Ewell Guards (Co. A, 49th Virginia Infantry), were organized and drilled here.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 11:07am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 282584 N 4285316|
|Decimal Degrees||38.68976667, -77.49975000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 41.386', W 77° 29.985'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 41' 23.16" N, 77° 29' 59.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 12249 Bristow Rd, Bristow VA 20136, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|