After the Civil War, a small community of African Americans lived on Route 654, now known as Zion Drive. The Wrights, Hamiltons, Whites, and Pinns were farmers and laborers. In 1904, David R. & Sarah F. Pinn donated an acre of land to build Little Bethel Baptist Church. In 1946, the church building was purchased by the Immediate Relief Association, which helped neighbors in need. The Sideburn Civic Community Association acquired the parcel in 1973, and the David R. Pinn Community Center was established. After more than 100 years, many of the descendants of the original families continue to live in this community.